In other words, if you want to pack enough stuff for a week or more, be comfortable all day and make sportbike riders wonder what the hell is getting larger in their rearview mirror then this is the bike for you.
With a maximum 160 bhp and 103 ft-lbs of torque, this is a beast of a motorcycle. Add a semi-active suspension that can tell the difference between a pot hole and hard acceleration, adjusting the suspension accordingly, and a traction control system / ABS breaking system that adjusts depending on if your going straight or are leaning into a corner and you can ride this beast to it’s limits.
If you want to see the technical details on the Super Adventure, they can be found on the KTM website. http://www.ktm.com/
The 1290 Super Adventure does have a few “low” points.
- It’s a tall motorcycle so if you’re under 5’11” find a stepladder.
- It is an Adventure motorcycle and it will get dirty, however make sure the dirt is smooth and the hills rolling. At some point weight and gravity will take over and dumping over a $20,000+ motorcycle can be expensive.
- The heavy flywheel, which smoothes out the engine, especially at low RPM’s takes a while to spin up, which means initial acceleration feels sluggish compared to other motorcycles in the same category.
On the “plus” side, the 1290 Super Adventure as a lot.
- It’s a beast!
- Standard engine guards, bash plate and luggage.
- It has a claimed 300-mile fuel range.
- All day comfort, day after day after day after…
Dream Your Ride
Next up will be the 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 1000.