Sproat Lake - Vancouver Island, BC Canada
You have a day off and the weather is going to be great, what are you going to do?
If you said “yard work” or some other “I would rather be doing something else then this” task, keep reading. If you said, “I’m going riding”, keep reading anyway.
If you’re like me, you probably have enough things on your “to do” list to last a couple of life times, let alone the one life that each of us gets. In fact that damn “to do” list is probably sucking the life right out of you, so get your life back and go for a ride on your day off. Not just any ride, but a day trip.
In order to get your life back this road trip must have some adventure built in, so ride somewhere you've never been or haven't been in a while.
Mount Washington - Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Load up one of the online mapping web sites like Google or Yahoo and type in your address. Next, scale the map so you can see at least 100 miles in any direction from your house. Plot a route that will take you through at least 2 places you’ve never been before or haven’t been in a while. If possible, your return route should be different. Check your bike, get ready and go.
I plan very little when I take a day trip, other than picking spots on the map, as this makes the adventure experience more fun.
Here are some tips that will be useful.
1. Pick a riding distance that you’re comfortable with and go a little further.
2. Stay off the highways! Enjoy the two lane roads and the little towns they pass through.
3. Take a camera. You’re more likely to stop and enjoy what you find along the way by taking pictures.
4. Stop and have coffee or lunch on your trip.
If you find a pub with motorcycles in front, the food and company will be good
5. Ask the “locals” about their town. People love talking about where they live and you will enjoy it.
6. Don’t be in a hurry! That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t rip up the road from time to time though.
7. Finally, if you see a road that looks interesting, take it!
Trust me, after one of these day trips you will be looking forward to your next day off and will be planning a different adventure. Enjoy!
Spending some time on the Ducati Multistrada courtesy of Savage Cycles of Victoria
PS: If you ride an Adventure or Dual Sport motorcycle, add some dirt or gravel roads to your ride.
Somewhere above Sproat Lake - Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Dream Your Ride
Dream Your Ride